Registration for New Students
Registration for all new students is done through the District Registrar. Parents/guardians may enroll their children for school at any time during the school year.
Registration packet is available here, or call the Registrar’s office at 607-324-1303 ext. 1480.
Are you looking at a new residence and wondering if it’s in the Hornell City School District? Use the Steuben County Search to find out!
In accordance with New York State Regulations, we are required to obtain information to verify your child’s age and residency status.
Please provide the following items:
- Copy of your child’s birth certificate (in the absence of a birth certificate alternate acceptable documentation may be provided as a means of determining the age of your child)
- Provide proof of immunization records, this means proof from your doctor’s office or clinic, not just school records. If a student is coming from out of NYS then they will need a NYS physical.
- Proof of residency
- Copy of Custody Papers, Court Orders, Orders of Protection
- Form DS 2999 for Foster Children
Proof of residency includes the following:
- Homeowner’s insurance policy – Must be a valid policy with parent/guardian name and address.
- Auto insurance policy – Must be a valid policy with parent/guardian name and address.
- Telephone bill
- Cable television installation receipt
- National Grid bill (2nd page)
- Legal and valid lease agreement – Must contain property owner’s name, address and signature; and name and signature of parent/guardian.
- Home purchase contract – Must contain seller’s name, the address of the property being purchased and the purchaser’s name.
Academic records, including transcripts, recent report cards and any special education plan should be presented at the time of registration or to the school. Please bring the name and mailing address of your child’s previous school to registration.
Pre-Kindergarten & Kindergarten Registration
Kindergarten registration information is available at the North Hornell School each December. If you are planning to send your child to kindergarten in the district, please fill out a Preschool Student Information Form for your child. If you do not fill out this form your child’s name will not be in our database.
Entrance into the Pre-Kindergarten program is on a first come, first serve basis. Children who will be 3 or 4 on or before December 1 of the year they will start school are eligible to enroll in the program. To register for kindergarten, children must be five years old by December 1 of the year they will start school.
For example, children who will turn five between December 2, 2022 and December 1, 2023 will be eligible to start kindergarten in September 2023.
Change of Address
Upon changing your address, fill out the change of address form and provide additional proof of address.
- Utility Bill
- Paystub or Income Tax form
- Lease Agreement
- Other bills sent to your home
- State ID
Student Records Requests
To request student’s records, please complete this form.
Please note, immunization records are only kept until the former student has attained the age of 26 years old. Transcripts are retained permanently in our records.