Counseling Information

What does a school counselor do? What does a school psychologist do?

As school counselors, we are here to support all students in the areas of: academic achievement, social-emotional development, and career exploration. We like to call ourselves professional helpers because we love helping students be successful. 

A school psychologist plays a similar role by supporting all students in their academic and social-emotional development through the 3 Tiers of intervention. The school psychologist is also involved in navigating the special education process.

How do I refer my child for school counseling services?

We have been very thoughtful in the delivery of our tier 1 and tier 2 social-emotional learning supports. If you feel your child needs additional tier 3 support (individual counseling) you can contact your child’s teacher, school counselor, or school psychologist. 

My child is struggling in school, how can he/she get extra support?

If your child is struggling in class, it is recommended to reach out directly to your child’s classroom teacher to explore possible interventions and strategies. If there are still concerns after reaching out to your child’s teacher, please reach out to your child’s school counselor or principal to discuss further options. A referral to our Student Support Team may be recommended (this is available for school age students only  – kindergarten and 1st grade). 

What is the process to refer my child to SST (Student Support Team)?

The North Hornell SST meets on a weekly basis, this is a highly positive and collaborative process. Classroom teachers make the initial referral with parent input. We discuss students:

  1. Strengths – We build from these strengths and areas of interest
  2. Needs – We carefully identify what specific areas students are struggling or behind
  3. Data – We strategically collect data to help drive our instruction and interventions
  4. Goals – We set specific goals to address student needs, we put interventions in place, and progress monitor students growth

*Please note that SST is open to school age students  in kindergarten and 1st grade*

What is the process to get my child an IEP (individualized education plan) or 504 accommodation plan?

First, a child must be referred to SST, once interventions/goals have been put in place and progress monitored, a referral to CSE may be made. If you have additional questions regarding special education services, they should be directed to Dr. Katie Clark at 607-324-0014 or Pupil Personnel Services at 607-324-1303 ext. 1109.

How does North Hornell Elementary School support our youngest learners’ Social-Emotional needs?

Tier 1

All students in 3 pre-kindergarten, 4 pre-kindergarten, kindergarten, and 1st grade will receive weekly tier 1 social-emotional learning lessons, we call them Red Raider Strong lessons and they take place in your child’s classroom. We focus on monthly social-emotional learning tools and mindfulness activities are integrated into every lesson:

  • September: Self Control, Whole Body Listening & Following Directions
  • October: Bus Safety, Fire Safety, Personal Safety & Halloween Safety
  • November: Gratitude & Giving Back
  • December: Feelings & Empathy
  • January: Responsibility & Manners
  • February: Kindness, Friendship & Diversity
  • March: Growth Mindset & Careers
  • April: Perseverance & Power Words
  • May: Cooperation & Turn Taking & Teamwork
  • June: Respect

Tier 2

 All students are eligible to receive weekly tier 2 social-emotional learning lessons, based upon classroom and student needs. Your child’s teacher will select students to attend and these lessons will take place in your child’s school counselor or school psychologist’s office. Our small group work will focus on increasing: self-awareness, social awareness, self-management, relationship skills, and responsible decision making (NYSED learning standards).

*If you do NOT want your child to participate in tier 2 SEL please let your child’s teacher know*

Tier 3

Services in tier 3 may include:

  • IEP Counseling – For students who are classified and have psychological counseling listed on their individualized education plan (IEP)
  • Behavior Management Counseling – For students whose behaviors are interfering with the learning of self or others
  • Crisis Counseling – For students who need immediate social-emotional and/or behavioral support