School Budget Information
About the annual school budget vote
In New York state, local school boards must annually develop a balanced school budget proposal and put it up for a public vote on the third Tuesday in May. District expenses may include salaries and benefits, curriculum, staff development, facilities maintenance and operation, transportation and debt service. Revenue includes state funding, federal funding, property taxes and appropriated fund balance.
Prior Budget Results
2022-23 Accepted Budget Details
- Budget total: $40,039,187
- Tax levy increase: $97,192
- Spending change: $195,609
- 2022-23 budget documents
- May 3, 2022 Budget Hearing Presentation with full ballot language
- 2022-23 Budget Statement in 3 part format
- Fiscal Accountability Report
- Budget Notice
- Property Tax Report Card
- Administrator Salary Disclosure
- Graduation Rate Report
- District Report Card
- Steuben County RPS Exemption Impact Report (Detail) (Summary)
- Ballot Proposition Language
Board of Education Election
School board candidate nominating petitions due in small city school districts in the office of the district clerk. The deadline for the 2023 election will be announced in April.
To be eligible to vote, you must be:
- a citizen of the U.S.
- at least 18 years of age
- a legal resident of the district at least 30 days prior to the vote
- registered to vote in the general electionor at a previous district special registration
If you are not a registered voter for the general election through the county, you may register specifically with the Hornell City School District for school votes only by contacting the District Clerk by phone at 607-324-1302 x1450 or my mail at 120 Raider Rd, Hornell, NY 14843.
If a voter wishes to receive an absentee ballot by mail, a written application must be submitted to the district clerk on a form provided by the clerk by May 10, 2022. If a voter wishes to pick up an absentee ballot personally, the application must be received by the clerk at least one day before the election. Persons designated by the Steuben County Board of Elections as “permanently disabled” pursuant to the provisions of the election law will automatically receive an absentee ballot.
The absentee ballot must be filed with the district clerk by 5:00 p.m. on the day of the vote, May 17, 2022.